Invisalign Patient Instructions
Taking care of Invisalign clear aligners is very simple. Every time you brush your teeth you can brush your aligners as well. They can also be soaked and cleaned in a denture cleaner while you are busy eating. The best way to clean your aligners is to use the Invisalign cleaning kit. As a secondary method, however, your aligners can also be cleaned by brushing them and rinsing them in lukewarm water.
It is not advisable to remove your aligners at night.
Thanks to the removable nature though, you can eat and drink whatever you want while in treatment. In fact, you’re required to remove your aligners to eat and drink. So, unlike undergoing traditional treatment using wires and brackets, there is no need to restrict your consumption of any of your favorite foods and snacks unless instructed otherwise by Dr. Elms. Also, it is important that you brush your teeth after each meal and prior to re-inserting your aligners to maintain fresh breath and proper hygiene.
Dr. Elms discourages smoking while wearing aligners because it is possible for the aligners to become discolored. You cannot chew gum while wearing your aligners. It will stick to the aligners. We recommend removing your aligners for all meals and snacks.
Things TO DO During Invisalign Treatment:
- Wear each set of trays for at least 2wks, unless otherwise instructed
- Wear each set of trays for 18- 20 hours a day, unless otherwise instructed
- Use denture cleaner tablets to clean trays at least once a day
- Always place trays in case when not in your mouth
- Always remove trays by starting from the back molars
- Always place trays in from the front of your mouth first, and then move to the back molars
- You may drink water while wearing trays or use a straw for dark liquids
- If possible, brush or rinse before placing trays back in your mouth
- Clenching into trays w/ your aligner chewies during the first 2-3 days helps teeth move faster and relieve pressure. Only clench for 30-40 sec each quadrant, and repeat for 5-10 min, but only do this if you have no history of jaw problems
- Wear trays as instructed in sequential order
- Keep 2 to 3 of your previous trays in a clean plastic bag
Things NOT TO DO During Invisalign Treatment:
- Throw away trays
- Leave trays out of mouth for long periods of time
- Chew gum with aligners in your mouth
- Leave trays in hot vehicle, or boil them (They are plastic!)
- Leave trays sitting out for pets or small children to chew on
- Wrap trays in a napkin (You will throw them away!)
- Place trays in your pocket without a case
- Have dental work done while in treatment, EXCEPT for regular checkups and cleanings
- Eat while wearing trays
- Remove trays from the front teeth first
- Drink dark teas, coffee or soda with trays in (Use a straw)
- Set trays on table at a restaurant
- Bite trays into position, this may damage them
- Use mouthwash or toothpaste on trays